Summer is just around the corner and Blind Beginnings is offering two summer camp programs for children and youth who are blind or partially sighted and their families!
- Camp Hornby: July 19 to 23 on Hornby Island
- Family Adventure Camp: August 16 to 19 in Sooke, Vancouver Island
Camp Hornby will take place Thursday July 19 – Monday July 23, 2018 at the Tribune Bay Outdoor Education Centre on Hornby Island.
What to Expect:
- Children and youth to participate in a variety of outdoor activities including; wall climbing, repelling, high ropes, leap of faith, kayaking, boat ride, team building games, and an opportunity to drive a tractor.
- A chance to play on the beach and swim in the ocean
- Delicious food prepared by the Outdoor Education Centre
- Campfire songs and skits led by the Outdoor Education Centre Staff
- An opportunity to connect with other’s who are living with a visual impairment
There is a male and a female cabin for those children and youth who attend independently or wish to sleep separate from their parents. The cabins consist of bunks but each camper must bring their own sleeping bag and pillow.
Families who are attending camp are encouraged to camp on the property in tents, trailers, or RV’s.
Who can Attend:
Children and youth who are blind, partially sighted, or deaf-blind up to 20 years of age. Parents and siblings are welcome to accompany children until they feel comfortable to attend independently.
Family Adventure Camp
Our Family Adventure Camp will take place August 16-19, 2018. This year we will be camping at Camp Barnard in Sooke on Vancouver Island (3202 Young Lake Rd, Sooke, BC V9Z 0J6). Camp Barnard is located in Otter Point, just west of Sooke, on a beautiful 250 acre camp backing onto Young Lake.
What to expect:
- Exciting adventure activities, such as; swimming, hiking, paddle boarding, canoeing, archery, and rock climbing
- Camping instruction and training, including pitching a tent, orienteering, and lighting a campfire.
- Instruction in meal prep, cooking, and clean-up by Teachers of Students with Visual Impairments for all child and youth participants
- Opportunities for families to meet, establish friendships, and have fun together!
We encourage families to have the true camping experience and bring a tent (Blind Beginnings has a few that we can lend out as well). There are also 6 small cabins available to those families who prefer not to sleep in a tent. The cabins are insulated but unheated. At least one of the cabins is wheelchair accessible. There is also room for 10 tents to be pitched on site, if you’d prefer to sleep in a tent. Our site has a heated commercial kitchen and dining hall that accommodates 120 people.
Who can attend:
A child or youth who is blind or partially sighted of any age, accompanied by their parents and siblings.
To register for either camp, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application form. Please provide your child’s name, your name and email address, and which camp you wish to register for. If your child is interested in attending Camp Hornby, please let us know whether they will be coming on their own or with the family.
Completed Applications must be received by:
- May 31 for Camp Hornby
- June 22 for Family Adventure Camp
Note: Space is limited for both camps and will be based on first come first serve.
Your family must be a member of Blind Beginnings in order to attend either camp. New members are always welcome. You can become a member by visiting www.blindbeginnings.ca. Annual membership is $10 for an individual and $25 for a family.
Both camps are highly subsidized by foundation grants and individual donors; however, we do ask families to pay a nominal commitment fee:
- Cost for both camps is $50 for the visually impaired child plus $25 for each additional family member.
Note: If you are facing financial challenges and are not able to pay the registration fee, or require assistance with your transportation costs, please let us know. Sponsorship is available; we do not want the cost to deter any families from participating.
If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact the office at 604-434-7243 or toll free at: 1-866-736-8620. We look forward to camping with you this summer!