Get Active with us!
While regular physical activity is important at any age, it is especially important for children and youth. Most studies show that children and youth ages 5 to 17 should be getting at least 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity a day.
The benefits of regular exercise can help:
- develop cardiovascular fitness, strength, flexibility, and bone density
- maintain a healthy body weight
- reduce the risk of chronic disease and health problems
- feel better every day, through improved mental health and well-being
Of course, these days making sure that kids get regular exercise and start to build healthy habits can be a challenge when families are stuck inside and not able to get out as much as usual.
That’s why we started our Active Beginnings: Yoga and Fitness programs. We wanted to not only help families stay active during COVID, but to also give children and youth who are blind or partially sighted the opportunities to learn and practice physical activity in a safe and supported way.
The objectives for the Active Beginnings: Yoga and Fitness Programs are to:
- help improve physical strength, endurance and balance
- reduce stress, anxiety, fatigue, and depression – there is research to support that yoga and fitness actually reduces the secretion of cortisol (stress hormone linked to these)
- increase confidence
- to build healthy habits and the likelihood of future participation in regular exercise and an active lifestyle
- strengthen social connections with peers
- demonstrate to parents that yoga, pilates, and fitness in general are accessible activities for youth who are blind or partially sighted
Our Active Beginnings: Yoga and Fitness have three sessions per week and will run most of August. They are all run by our yoga alliance certified yoga & fitness instructor, Whitley Point and are fully described. These sessions will include:
Foundations of Fitness – Aug 5, 12th, 19th at 3:45pm
Intermediate Yoga Class – Aug 5, 12th, 19th at 5:00pm
Sporty Saturdays – Aug 1, 8th, 15th at 11am
More information on our Active Beginnings: Yoga and Fitness Programs can be found at https://www.blindbeginnings.ca/summer-programs-2020/#active
If you are already convinced of the benefits of an active lifestyle and would like to join us and get the blood pumping, registration information can be found at https://www.blindbeginnings.ca/summer-programs-2020/#register
All our classes are open to any Blind Beginnings Member including parents or siblings.
See you there!