Blind Beginnings 2017 Summer Camp Programs
It’s time to start planning for summer and Blind Beginnings has two summer camp programs for children and youth who are blind or partially sighted and their families!
- Camp Hornby – July 20 to 24 on Hornby Island
- Family Adventure Camp – August 24 to 27 in Kelowna
Camp Hornby will take place Thursday July 20 – Monday July 24, 2017 at the Tribune Bay Outdoor Education Centre on Hornby Island.
What to Expect:
- Children and youth to participate in a variety of outdoor activities including; wall climbing, repelling, high ropes, leap of faith, kayaking, boat ride, team building games, and an opportunity to drive a tractor.
- A chance to play on the beach and swim in the ocean
- Delicious food prepared by the Outdoor Education Centre
- Campfire songs and skits led by the Outdoor Education Centre Staff
- An opportunity to connect with other’s who are living with a visual impairment.
Accommodations: There is a boy’s cabin and a girl’s cabin for those children and youth who attend independently or wish to sleep separate from their parents. The cabins consist of bunks but each camper must bring their own sleeping bag and pillow.
Families who are attending camp are welcome to camp on the property in tents, trailers, or RV’s.
Who can attend:
Children and youth who are blind, partially sighted, or deaf-blind up to 20 years of age. Parents and siblings are welcome to accompany children until they feel comfortable to attend independently.
Family Adventure Camp
Our Family Adventure Camp will take place August 24 – 27, 2017. This year we will be camping at Camp Dunlop in Kelowna (5325 Lakeshore Road, Kelowna), BC).
Camp Dunlop is nestled in the Lebanon Creek valley where the valley meets Lake Okanagan, and provides the feeling of being in the wilderness even though you are very close to the City. The camp is situated on 30 acres, with hiking trails in the surrounding areas that provide spectacular views of Okanagan Lake. The camp has it’s own private beach on Okanagan Lake with a wharf and floating dock.
What to expect:
- Exciting adventure activities, such as; swimming, beachcombing, kayaking, hiking, etc.
- Camping instruction and training, including pitching a tent, orienteering, and lighting a campfire.
- Instruction in meal prep, cooking, and clean-up for all child and youth participants
- Opportunities for families to meet, establish friendships, and have fun together!
Accommodations: At this camp Blind Beginnings families are encouraged to experience the true sense of camping and sleep in a tent.
The site we are renting also has a large commercial indoor kitchen which accommodates 100 people, an outdoor fire pit, is close to indoor toilets and showers and is a short walk to a wonderful beach just waiting to be explored.
Who can attend:
A child or youth who is blind or partially sighted of any age, accompanied by their parents and siblings.
To register for either camp, please Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application form. Please provide your child’s name, your name and Email address, and which camp you wish to register for. If your child is interested in attending Camp Hornby, please let us know whether they will be coming on their own or with the family.
Completed Applications must be received by:
- May 31 for Camp Hornby
- June 30 for Family Adventure Camp
Note: Space is limited for both camps and will be based on first come first serve.
Your family must be a member of Blind Beginnings in order to attend either camp. New members are always welcome. You can become a member by visiting www.blindbeginnings.ca. Annual membership is $10 for an individual and $25 for a family.
Cost: Both camps are highly subsidized by foundation grants and individual donors; however, we do ask families to pay a nominal commitment fee:
- Cost for Camp Hornby is $50 for the visually impaired child plus $25 for each additional family member
- Cost for Family Adventure Camp is $25 for each member of the family attending.
Note: If you are facing financial challenges and are not able to pay the registration fee, or require assistance with your transportation costs, please let us know. Sponsorship is available; we do not want the cost to deter any families from participating.
If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact the office at 604-434-7243 or toll free at: 1-866-736-8620.
We look forward to camping with you this summer!