Summer is just around the corner and Blind Beginnings is offering two summer camp programs for children and youth who are blind or partially sighted and their families!
1. Camp Hornby (July 17-21) at Tribune Bay Outdoor Education Centre on Hornby Island
2. Family Adventure Camp (August 20-23) at Camp Byng in Roberts Creek, Gibsons
Camp Hornby will take place July 17-21 at Tribune Bay Outdoor Education Centre on Hornby Island.
What to expect:
- Children and youth will participate in a variety of outdoor activities including; wall climbing, repelling, high ropes, leap of faith, kayaking, boat ride, team building games, and an opportunity to drive a tractor
- A chance to play on the beach and swim in the ocean
- Delicious food prepared by the Outdoor Education Centre
- Campfire songs and skits led by the Outdoor Education Centre Staff
- An opportunity to connect with others who are living with a visual impairment
There is a male and a female cabin for those children and youth who attend independently or wish to sleep separate from their parents. The cabins consist of bunks but each camper must bring their own sleeping bag and pillow.
Families who are attending camp are encouraged to camp on the property in tents, trailers, or RV’s.
Who can attend:
Children and youth who are blind or partially sighted up to 20 years of age. Parents and siblings are welcome to accompany children until they feel comfortable to attend independently.
FAMILY ADVENTURE CAMP
Our Family Adventure Camp will take place August 20-23 at Camp Byng in Roberts Creek, Gibsons.
What to expect:
- Exciting outdoor activities such as hiking, swimming and a low ropes course
- Camping instruction and training, including pitching a tent, orienteering, and lighting a campfire
- Instruction in meal prep, cooking, and clean-up by teachers of students with visual impairments for all child and youth participants
- Opportunities for families to meet, establish friendships, and have fun together!
Our site includes 10 sleeping hulls, each of which sleeps 6. Families can request these at the time of registration. Please note that the sleeping hulls do not have beds or mattresses supplied, so families will have to bring their own sleeping mat and sleeping bag! If your family prefers tenting, there is also room for tents on site. We will also have full access to Salish Lodge which includes a large common room/dining hall, a smaller lounge, a fully-equipped kitchen and washrooms with flush toilets and shower facilities.
Who can attend:
Children and youth who are blind or partially sighted of any age, accompanied by their parents and siblings.
To register for either camp, please email email@example.com to request an application form. Please provide your child’s name, your name and email address, and which camp you wish to register for. If your child is interested in attending Camp Hornby, please let us know whether they will be coming on their own or with the family.
Completed applications must be received by:
- May 30, 2020 for Camp Hornby
- June 19, 2020 for Family Adventure Camp
Note: Space is limited for both camps and will be based on first come first serve.
Your family must be a member of Blind Beginnings in order to attend either camp. New members are always welcome. You can become a member by visiting: https://www.blindbeginnings.ca/support/membership-2020/.
Cost: Both camps are highly subsidized by foundation grants and individual donors; however, we do ask families to pay a nominal commitment fee:
- Cost for both camps is $50 for the visually impaired child plus $25 for each additional family member.
- Camp fees can be paid on our website at: https://www.blindbeginnings.ca/support/2020-summer-camps/
Note: If you are facing financial challenges and are not able to pay the registration fee, or require assistance with your transportation costs, please let us know. Sponsorship is available; we do not want the cost to deter any families from participating.
If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact the office at 604-434-7243 or toll free at: 1-866-736-8620.
We look forward to camping with you this summer!