Blind Beginnings is excited to be creating an online community of support for parents raising children who are blind or partially sighted. Starting this month, you will be able to meet other parents from across BC who are also raising children who are visually impaired, all from the comfort of your home.
We are launching 3 monthly Online Drop-In Parent Groups. Any parent with a child who is blind or partially sighted is welcome to attend any or all of the groups, but the focus of each group will be slightly different.
Option 1: Wednesday Mornings from 10:00 – 11:30 am
- Designed for parents with younger children, or children who are blind or partially sighted with additional challenges.
Dates and topics are as follows:
- January 16 – Making friends when your family seems different
- February 13 – Literacy: How do I introduce books to my child
- March 13 – Making family outings meaningful for everyone
- April 10 – How to respond to insensitive comments and questions
- May 8 – Self-care: It’s so important, and you deserve it
- June 12 – Advocacy: How to get the support your child needs
Option 2: Wednesday Evenings from 7:30 – 9:00 PM
- For parents with children who are blind or partially sighted of all ages.
Dates and topics are as follows:
- February 6 – What kind of work can one do if they are blind or partially sighted?
- March 6 – Encouraging independence at home
- April 3 – Talking to your child about their visual impairment
- May 1 – What is Echolocation
- June 5 – Sports & Recreation: How to have fun with your family
*Note: These topics will be a guideline for the first half of the session, however the second half will allow an opportunity for open questions and discussion.
Option 3: Saturday mornings from 10:00 – 11:30 am
- Drop-in Support Group for parents.
Dates are as follows:
- January 19
- February 16
- March 16
- April 27
- May 25
- June 15
There will be no predetermined topics for these group meetings. This group is for:
- Parents who are not able to make the Wednesday meetings.
- Parents who are not interested in the topics being discussed in the other group meetings, but who want to connect with other parents.
- Parents who are finding it challenging to cope with strong emotions in regards to their child’s diagnosis.
- Parents who want to share their children’s personal successes with a group of parents who might be more likely to understand.
All three groups will be facilitated by Shawn Marsolais, a Registered Clinical Counselor, who has grown up with a visual impairment, and has been working with children & youth who are blind or partially sighted, and their families for nearly 20 years.
How will this work:
The group will meet in a private on-line meeting room. When you register, you will be sent the link to join the Zoom meeting. You can use Zoom with your computer or smart phone, and once connected you will be able to see and talk to all the other parent participants.
How to register:
If you are interested in participating in any of the group sessions listed here, please Email email@example.com and please include:
- Your name
- Your child’s name and age
- Which sessions you plan to attend – there is no minimum or maximum
We recognize that some of these dates are quite far in the future, so we will be sending out monthly reminders of the upcoming sessions, but you can mark your calendars with the dates now.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me by phone: 604-434-7243 or toll free 1-866-736-8620, or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.