“When being blind doesn’t make you different, it stops being the thing people see first.”
Shawn Marsolais, Founder of Blind Beginnings
Blind Beginnings is a non-profit organization striving to guarantee quality of life for children and youth who are blind or partially sighted by promoting equal access to the world’s resources and opportunities. We seek to challenge the limits of what is deemed possible for blind and partially sighted children and to establish a strong foundation on which to build rich and fulfilling lives.
Our Mission is to inspire children and youth who are blind or partially sighted, and their families, providing diverse programs, experiences, counselling and peer support, and opportunities for them to create fulfilling lives.
We envision a world where seeing things differently inspires limitless possibilities.
Programs & Services
- Junior Explorers Program
- Youth Leadership Program
- Parent-to-Parent Support Program
- Family Community Discovery Program
- Workshops for the Community
- Counseling & Consultation
Blind Beginnings is Unique
- Our focus is on children and youth, and issues affecting them
- We are family directed; A minimum of 60% of the Board must be blind or a family member of children who are blind or partially sighted
- We share a “no-limits” philosophy that challenges any attempts to limit what blind or partially sighted children are capable of doing or achieving
- We embrace and value blindness and visual impairment as an expression of the range of human diversity
NEWS & EVENTS0 comments
Dear families, friends, and supporters: With Thanksgiving comes the reminder that Christmas is fast approaching. If you’re like many of us, Purdy’s Chocolates make a great gift for all those hard to buy for people on your list. Who doesn’t love chocolate? From the comfort of your home you can browse the wide selection of… Read more Purdy’s Chocolate Fundraiser0 comments
Join Blind Boo-ginnings as we celebrate everything spooky and scary at this October’s Junior Explorer’s Club meeting! It’s the time of year when black cats get back to crossing your path, witches get out their best cauldrons, and ghouls prepare for a fresh round of hauntings! Come join us at our second meeting in our… Read more **Reminder**Register now for a Jr. Explorer’s Halloween!0 comments
GTT Vancouver is expanding! Sponsored by the Canadian Council of the Blind in partnership with Blind Beginnings Get Together with Technology (GTT) Vancouver has been meeting for a year now and has officially become a chapter of the Canadian Council of the Blind (CCB). Meetings have been held at the Blind Beginnings office in New… Read more Get Together with Technology is expanding