“When being blind doesn’t make you different, it stops being the thing people see first.”
Shawn Marsolais, Founder of Blind Beginnings
Blind Beginnings is a non-profit organization striving to guarantee quality of life for children and youth who are blind or partially sighted by promoting equal access to the world’s resources and opportunities. We seek to challenge the limits of what is deemed possible for blind and partially sighted children and to establish a strong foundation on which to build rich and fulfilling lives.
Our Mission is to inspire children and youth who are blind or partially sighted, and their families, providing diverse programs, experiences, counselling and peer support, and opportunities for them to create fulfilling lives.
We envision a world where seeing things differently inspires limitless possibilities.
Programs & Services
- Junior Explorers Program
- Youth Leadership Program
- Parent-to-Parent Support Program
- Family Community Discovery Program
- Workshops for the Community
- Counseling & Consultation
Blind Beginnings is Unique
- Our focus is on children and youth, and issues affecting them
- We are family directed; A minimum of 60% of the Board must be blind or a family member of children who are blind or partially sighted
- We share a “no-limits” philosophy that challenges any attempts to limit what blind or partially sighted children are capable of doing or achieving
- We embrace and value blindness and visual impairment as an expression of the range of human diversity
NEWS & EVENTS0 comments
Blind Beginnings 2016 Summer Camp Programs It’s time to start planning for summer and Blind Beginnings has two summer camp programs for children and youth who are blind or partially sighted and their families! Camp Hornby – July 21 to 25 on Hornby Island Family Adventure Camp – August 25 to 28 on the… Read more 2016 Summer Camp Announcement0 comments
ATTENTION!!!!! This is not a warning! This is not a drill! Run! You heard me run as fast as you can! Because there’s going to be an explosion… that’s right, an explosion of talent happening within Blind Beginnings. Where? Why at the Sapperton Pensioners Hall at 318 Keary St, New Westminster, BC… Read more Sign up now for our 2016 BB Has Talent!