“When being blind doesn’t make you different, it stops being the thing people see first.”
Shawn Marsolais, Founder of Blind Beginnings
Blind Beginnings is a non-profit organization striving to guarantee quality of life for children and youth who are blind or visually impaired by promoting equal access to the world’s resources and opportunities. We seek to challenge the limits of what is deemed possible for blind and visually impaired children and to establish a strong foundation on which to build rich and fulfilling lives.
Our Mission is to provide children and youth with the necessary opportunities, experiences and family/community support to reach their full potential.
Programs & Services
- Workshops for children and youth who are blind or visually impaired, and their parents
- Training Programs
- Organized Family Activities
- Awareness Presentations
- Counseling and Consultation
Blind Beginnings is Unique
- Our focus is on children and youth, and issues affecting them
- We are family directed; A minimum of 60% of the Board must be family members of children who are blind or visually impaired
- We share a “no-limits” philosophy that challenges any attempts to limit what blind or visually impaired children are capable of doing or achieving
- We embrace and value blindness and visual impairment as an expression of the range of human diversity
NEWS & EVENTS
Blind Beginnings and CNIB Present… A Play Group for Preschoolers This new program welcomes preschool age children who are blind or partially sighted, and their parents/caregivers to enjoy a morning of stories, songs, resources, snacks, and socializing! On Wednesday April 29, it’s all about play dough. Together kids… Read more A Play Group for Preschoolers
Camp Hornby 2015 Registration Camp Hornby is for blind and partially sighted children up to 20 years and their families. This camp takes place at the Tribune Bay Outdoor Education Centre on Hornby Island. The objective is to provide campers the opportunity to participate in a variety of challenging and fun activities, and forget about their disability… Read more Camp Hornby 2015 Registration
‘Blind Beginnings Has Talent’ is looking for you Blind Beginnings presents … Blind Beginnings Has Talent! Do you have a talent to show? Do you sing? Dance? Play an instrument, tell jokes or another talent? We’re looking for you! When and Where? May 30, 2015, 7:00 pm – 10:00 pm Doors open at 6:30 Sapperton… Read more BB Has Talent is looking for you!