Registration is now open for our 4th Annual Summer Family Adventure Camp.
Registration is now open for our 4th Annual Summer Family Adventure Camp. This year’s camp promises to be our best yet! Camp Boyle has campsites for tenting or self-contained recreation vehicles, a large main hall for eating and gathering, a spacious kitchen with 2 propane restaurant type cooking stoves, washrooms and showers, and a campfire area with bench seating. Camp Boyle’s Scout Camp Counsellors are also going to be there to teach us camping skills, and lead us in songs, games, and adventure activities.
Read full story...
Blind Beginnings is excited to announce a new partnership with the Camp Hornby Society. Camp Hornby is an outdoor adventure camp for children and youth who are blind or visually impaired that takes place on Hornby Island. Young children with a visual impairment are welcome to come to camp with their parents and siblings, and older youth usually attend on their own. Campers take part in a wide range of outdoor activities including kayaking, challenging high ropes courses, repelling, rock climbing, a boat ride, driving a tractor, and the famous “Leap of Faith”. It’s a fun-filled 5 days with evening campfire, delicious food, and an opportunity to connect with other children and youth with visual impairments.
Read full story...
Tickets are now available for the 4th Annual Blind Beginnings Gala Dinner & Dance
Join us on Saturday April 12, 2014 for a delicious 3-course meal, live dinner entertainment, amazing silent and live auction items, an inspiring keynote speaker, dancing to a fabulous live band, and much more.
Read full story...
Welcome to Blind Beginnings!
"When being blind doesn't make you different, it stops being the thing people see first." Shawn Marsolais, Founder and Manager of Programs & Services at Blind Beginnings. Watch our video below to learn about Blind Beginnings:
Blind Beginnings is a non-profit organization striving to guarantee quality of life for children and youth who are blind or visually impaired by promoting equal access to the world's resources and opportunities. We seek to challenge the limits of what is deemed possible for blind and visually impaired children and to establish a strong foundation on which to build rich and fulfilling lives.
Our Mission is to provide children and youth with the necessary opportunities, experiences and family/community support to reach their full potential.
Programs & Services
- Workshops for children and youth who are blind or visually impaired, and their parents
- Training Programs
- Organized Family Activities
- Awareness Presentations
- Counselling & Consultation
Blind Beginnings is Unique
- Our focus is on children and youth, and issues affecting them
- We are family directed; A minimum of 60% of the Board must be family members of children who are blind or visually impaired
- We share a "no-limits" philosophy that challenges any attempts to limit what blind or visually impaired children are capable of doing or achieving
- We embrace and value blindness and visual impairment as an expression of the range of human diversity
Accessibility features of our new site:
We've added many new features to our re-designed site to help you view the pages and find what you're looking for. Be sure to check out each feature:
- Skip to Main Content : this link at the top of every page allows you to get right to the important content
- Text re-size: also at the very top of every page, three settings—small, medium and large—allow you to adjust the text to a comfortable reading size for you
- Our most frequently accessed sections, Programs and Resources are available in the navigation menu near the top of the page. If you want to get to those pages quickly, don't click Skip to Main Content, simply scroll down to these links.
- Link to Site Map in our Quick Links gives you a list of links to every page on the website, all in one easy place