“When being blind doesn’t make you different, it stops being the thing people see first.”
Shawn Marsolais, Founder of Blind Beginnings
Blind Beginnings is a non-profit organization striving to guarantee quality of life for children and youth who are blind or partially sighted by promoting equal access to the world’s resources and opportunities. We seek to challenge the limits of what is deemed possible for blind and partially sighted children and to establish a strong foundation on which to build rich and fulfilling lives.
Our Mission is to inspire children and youth who are blind or partially sighted, and their families, providing diverse programs, experiences, counselling and peer support, and opportunities for them to create fulfilling lives.
We envision a world where seeing things differently inspires limitless possibilities.
Programs & Services
- Junior Explorers Program
- Youth Leadership Program
- Parent-to-Parent Support Program
- Family Community Discovery Program
- Workshops for the Community
- Counseling & Consultation
Blind Beginnings is Unique
- Our focus is on children and youth, and issues affecting them
- We are family directed; A minimum of 60% of the Board must be blind or a family member of children who are blind or partially sighted
- We share a “no-limits” philosophy that challenges any attempts to limit what blind or partially sighted children are capable of doing or achieving
- We embrace and value blindness and visual impairment as an expression of the range of human diversity
NEWS & EVENTS0 comments
Our 7th annual Blind Beginnings Gala Dinner & Auction is only two weeks away and tickets are going fast! As usual you can look forward to a delicious buffet meal, a blindfold challenge, heart-warming performances from some talented Blind Beginnings children and youth, balloons, and dancing! We are also excited to welcome back Arran… Read more 2017 GALA Announcement – 2 weeks out!!0 comments
Blind Beginnings 2017 Summer Camp Programs It’s time to start planning for summer and Blind Beginnings has two summer camp programs for children and youth who are blind or partially sighted and their families! Camp Hornby – July 20 to 24 on Hornby Island Family Adventure Camp – August 24 to 27 in Kelowna… Read more Announcing our 2017 Blind Beginnings Summer Camps0 comments
Blind Beginnings is pleased to announce our 7th Youth Leadership Training Weekend! This exciting program is offered to youth who are blind or partially-sighted between 13 and 19 years of age, from across BC. The program is for youth to develop transferable employment skills including; public speaking, communication, mentoring, active listening and empathy, organization and… Read more 7th Youth Leadership Training Weekend