Blind Beginnings is a charitable organization whose mission is to inspire and support children and youth who are blind or partially sighted, and their families, providing diverse programs, experiences, counselling and peer support, and opportunities for them to create fulfilling lives. We envision a world where seeing things differently inspires limitless possibilities.
Position Title: Communications Coordinator
Salary Range: $40,000 – $44,000 depending on experience
Start Date: March 23rd, 2020 (negotiable)
Term: Full-time (35 hours per week) Permanent
Location: Based in New Westminster
Note: Must be willing to work occasional evenings and weekends to meet program or event requirements.
Closing Date: March 1st, 2020
The Communications Coordinator reports to the Director of Operations and is responsible for communications, marketing, and implementing and carrying out a social media strategy that supports program engagement and organizational growth. The Communications Coordinator also supports the Director of Operations with fundraising and donor recognition. This position works collaboratively with the Executive Director and Program Coordinator.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Collaborating with the Director of Operations to coordinate the distribution of marketing and organizational correspondence and materials
- Working with contracted Web Designer to improve our website to be a greater resource for families and youth with greater functionality and engagement
- Updating the organization’s website and related news and event pages on a continuous basis
- Assisting with the creation of our annual report
- Assisting with plans for finalizing and implementing a social media strategy
- Supporting the Fundraising Committee with attending events to take photos and write stories to share on social media as well as assist with event preparation and event support the day of event
- Assisting with donor recognition, acknowledging donors and managing donor files
- Creating online engagement tools such as webinars, blog posts, discussion forums, surveys
- Attending programs and/or events when necessary
- Supporting on line social media engagement
- Creating a story bank and photo files
- Perform varied administrative duties as required
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Qualifications include Bachelor’s degree in communications or marketing, or a related discipline plus related experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- You have demonstrated computer and IT aptitude, including Microsoft Word, Excel and G-Suite
- Excellent knowledge and experience using social media tools (e.g., Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram)
- Ability to communicate effectively in English both written and verbally
- Excellent interpersonal skills including active listening and problem solving abilities
- Ability to perform assigned tasks within a reasonable time frame and meet deadlines as required
- Familiarity with image and content editing software
- Experience with WordPress and Mailchimp
- You have demonstrated administrative skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a small team
- Experience and comfort interacting with individuals with a disability.
- Must provide a clear Criminal Record Check — Vulnerable Sector
Please send applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your resume and cover letter responding to the following question: Why is it important to you to support young people who are blind or partially sighted?
We thank all applicants for your interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.